We provide financial support for ballet dancers, contemporary dancers and also choreographers and choreologists. In particular, we help members of the Royal Ballet Companies and other established dance companies. We also support freelance dance professionals working in other genres. Teachers and former teachers of dancing, in particular members and former members of recognised dance examining bodies can also apply.
Examples of this might be:
- Cost of living e.g. payment of bills following illness
- Crisis funding e.g. when facing homelessness
- Medical costs e.g. physiotherapy, counselling
- Retraining support e.g. travel bursaries
To be eligible for funding you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Have three years (36 months) of professional dance performance, teaching or choreography in the UK
- Be a practising, former or retired dance professional; or in certain circumstances, be a dependent of a dance professional
- Be in receipt of all the state benefits you are entitled to at the time of applying
- Those with savings of under £6,000 (unless being held for specific purpose, such as HMRC payment – evidence will be required).
- Have no other significant means of support e.g. from a partner or from capital assets.
The Fund cannot provide help towards:
- registered business costs
- business arrears
- debt repayments
We regret we are unable to fund the following individuals:
- Students who have yet to commence their career in dance
- Those requiring funding for creating artistic work, e.g. rehearsal or production costs
- Those working in therapeutic arts (e.g. dance therapy) or movement teachers in schools.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for further information about who and how the fund can help.
If you do not fulfil our criteria, there may be other charities than can help you.